Home | PACQUIAO VS MAYWEATHER NEWS | PACMAN VS PBF VIDEOS | MANNY PACQUIAO VS FLOYD MAYWEATHER PICTURES

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather

News and Latest Updates, Streaming Videos, Pictures, HBO 24/7 Episodes

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pacquiao set to slug it out in Congress

MANILA, Philippines—The world’s best pound-for-pound boxer is raring to slug it out in the political arena where he promised to be vocal, productive and always present.

“For me, I don’t consider it as an achievement my election as a congressman. It is my ambition to help those who have long wanted to get help from government. It’s just like boxing, I dreamed of becoming a world champion. Now, my dream is to become a good public servant and good leader of Sarangani,” said Rep. Emmanuel “Manny” Pacquiao after attending a special orientation program for neophyte lawmakers Thursday.

Pacquiao said he had already expressed his interest in joining the House committees on sports and on energy and he was eager to join in on his debates or defending his bill in the session hall.

“I’m not nervous (about making a privilege speech or engaging peers in a debate), I’m even excited to represent my constituents because I don’t want to let down the people from Sarangani,” said Pacquiao.

Time management

He said it was important that he attend every session or have a full attendance sheet because this is what his constituents expected from him even though he would continue to pursue his boxing career.

“It’s just time management. I can’t turn my back on sports because that is the one which gave me my name and honor,” said Pacquiao.

With no final deal on the table for his next fight, Pacquiao said he was focused on living up to his duties as a representative, particularly the promises he made during the campaign.

“I really want to show everyone the right governance,” said Pacquiao who noted that his managers were hoping to put the finishing touches on his much-anticipated bout with American boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr.

“They’re just ironing out some things in the contract.”

Pacquiao hinted that his fight with Mayweather could be his last because he was really serious in making a good name in public service.

Political savvy

He admitted sheepishly that he would be earning more by fighting in the ring rather than being a representative. “Abonado nga ako. I am getting funds out of my own budget but that is okay. I really want to help,” said Pacquiao.

Pacquiao showed his political savvy when pressed on some issues that he would tackle as a lawmaker.

On the proposal to cut the pork barrel allocation, Pacquiao said it was difficult to make a decision on something that needed deeper study.

On the need of the government to impose new taxes to bridge the widening budget deficit, Pacquiao said he was all for it as long as it would help in uplifting the lives of Filipinos.

When he was reminded that “sin taxes” were likely to be the first tax measures to be pushed by the government and that San Miguel Beer was his biggest corporate sponsor, Pacquiao did not waver and quickly pointed out that he would still push for it if the majority of the people would benefit from the measure.

“We are just representatives of the people and we are thinking of what is good for the majority and not just what will benefit a few people,” said Pacquiao.

Source: inquirer.net

No comments:

Post a Comment